Kousei-in was built as a personal residence in 1892 by Ijuin Kanetsune, who hailed from a clan in Kagoshima and contributed to development of the construction industry during the Meiji Period. It briefly served as the residence of the Clan, before being sold to the Hirose Family and converted into a temple of the Rinzai Sect of Buddhism. In the architecture (Tangible Cultural Property of Kyoto City) and the garden (place of Scenic Beauty of Kyoto City) are seen the ingenuity of Kanetsune, who exercised his exceptional knowledge and skills as a man of refined taste. The pond, which is long in the north-and-south direction, is fed by and returns to the Takasegawa River. The water comes in through a sluice north of the wall, passes under the tea room and flows into the pond. The garden by Ogawa JiheiVII is full of nature and creates an isolated space from bustle of the city despite its downtown location. Collotype prints of Grand Prize-winning works are exhibited in the hall, tea room and the study that faces the garden.
Ichino-Funairi-cho, Kawaramachi-dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto